Encina Veterinary Hospital has an Intensive Care Unit (ICU) on par with those found in the best human hospitals. We are open 24-hours a day and 7 days a week and have top-of-the-line diagnostic, monitoring, and support equipment. Our team of knowledgeable, dedicated doctors and veterinary technicians are always on site to care for your pet in an emergency, critical situation, or for post-operative care.
Our advanced multi-parameter ICU treatments include:
• Oxygen supplementation/oxygen cages
• Blood and plasma transfusion capabilities
• Advanced pain management including spinal epidural and constant-rate infusions
• Feeding tube/chest tube placements
• Nutritional support/intravenous nutrition
• Respiratory therapy and management
• 24-hour doctor and technician nursing care
• Advanced cardiovascular monitoring (including arterial line placement, EKG, pulse oximetry)
• On-site laboratory (chemistries, blood gases, urinalysis, electrolyte profiles, coagulation parameters)
• On-site digital radiology, ultrasound, and CT scanner
Communication is a priority. Our doctors participate in rounds every 12 hours and collaborate regarding the urgent care needs of the hospitalized patients. Communication between you and the staff is just as important – our veterinarians will provide you with daily updates and the doctor’s assistants are also here to help answer any questions.
Encina Veterinary Hospital provides emergency, life-saving surgical procedures around the clock. After surgery, our patients recover and are hospitalized in our Intensive Care Unit.
Examples of emergency surgery include:
• Pyometra (severe uterine infection in female dogs)
• Gastric-Dilation-Volvulus (GDV, aka “bloat”)
• Foreign Body Removal
• Tracheostomy (airway access)
• Cesarean section (C-section)
• Wound Management or Repair
• Abscess surgery
• Urinary surgery
Recovery after anesthesia occurs in our Intensive Care Unit (ICU) where both patient safety and comfort level are the priorities. Pain medications and post-operative treatments are adjusted and tailored to meet the needs of each individual patient around the clock. Our knowledgeable, dedicated staff will go the extra mile to provide your pet with intensive care 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.