Ahhh, Springtime! The showers start to disappear, the sun begins to shine, flowers bloom, birds chirp — you get the idea. Unfortunately, along with all the beautiful things that this time of year brings, concerns for our pets are prevalent.
With gardens starting to blossom, it’s important we all keep in mind the danger of, gulp, LILIES! Though these flowers prove to be very beautiful, they also happen to be deadly toxic to your cats. True lilies (Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies) are all considered to be deadly to your cat; a simple ingestion of the leaf, petal or pollen stems, can send your cat into acute renal failure and eventually death.
Here’s a visual of the lilies that are considered to be deadly toxic by the Pet Poison Help Line:
We’d like everyone to be aware of these dangers, and should your cat ingest any part of the lily, we highly encourage you to bring your cat and the plant into our hospital. We are open 24 hours, 7 days a week; no need to call ahead in an emergency.